Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Hiatus & The Return

Sorry for the really long hiatus. It was rather unexpected, mostly because living overseas in France was not very conducive to Cantonese cooking. Well, healthy Cantonese cooking anyway. It was very difficult, especially in the south of France, to find the seasonal products in supermarkets that I would normally use in my meals.

But I'm back, for good, and with news! No, I'm not pregnant... I'm vegan! Well, at least for the next two weeks. I chose to experiment with veganism after reading about the conditions that animals are raised in the factory farms that provide Americans their meat selections. In factory farms, most animals don't have live in squalid conditions only to face horrid ends of dying, but the part that hit me the most was what they ate. Since this blog isn't a campaign for veganism, I'll be brief. Let's just say I'll never touch what those farm animals eat daily, not even with a ten foot pole.

These two weeks of vegan eating are a way for me to properly research the producers I will be buying from when I need to buy things at supermarkets. It hasn't been easy eating Cantonese and vegan, but my mom has been so supportive, and even though she eats meat at dinner, she still helps me shop around for vegan options. So far, my body has been responding well. I'm excited to tackle this experiment and to share more Cantonese recipes also! 

Happy eating!

1 comment:

  1. cool, i never thought about trying to go vegan and keep the cultural foods. i never associate vegan food with ethnic food. it'll be fun to follow how you are doing :)

    ReplyDelete